Why is this Standard necessary?
It is crucial that the environment in which patients receive treatment and care is fit for purpose, so that patients are protected and that accurate information can be obtained about a patient’s eye health. This applies no matter where care is being delivered, including online.
To achieve this, your business:
- Ensures that all appropriate staff have professional indemnity insurance in place to cover their activities, and considers whether any additional insurance is needed for the business;
- Provides an accessible patient care environment in line with current equalities legislation;
- Maintains an appropriate standard of hygiene and repair of the premises from which care is provided;
- Only provides, promotes and utilises equipment, medications and medical devices (including software and other technologies) that are fit for their intended use, hygienic and in a good state of repair;
- Ensures that staff utilising equipment, medications and medical devices (including software and other technologies) have undergone appropriate training in their use;
- Advises staff that they have the right to refuse to provide care if there is a serious risk to their own safety or that of others in doing so. This applies wherever care is being delivered, including in domiciliary settings;
- Is able to accommodate the need or wish of a patient to have a carer, chaperone or interpreter present, whether their own or provided by the practice;
- Provides appropriate disposal facilities for all waste, including any controlled, clinical and offensive waste where applicable;
- Requires and enforces infection control protocols appropriate for your practice and ensures that all staff are in a position to follow them;
- Ensures that your business is prepared to deal with an emergency situation arising in practice, whether optical or otherwise;
- Ensures that unauthorised access to equipment, medications and medical devices (including software and other technologies) and restricted areas of the premises is prevented.